Paul Slade Smith
Actor & Playwright
• Six Award Nominations! The Australian production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has received six nominations from the 2019 Helpmann Awards, which recognize excellence in Australian theatre and the performing arts. Nominated for Best Musical, Best Direction of a Musical, and Best Choreography, the show also got nods for three of its cast members, including a Best Actor nomination for Paul, in his performance as Willy Wonka.
• Coming to Melbourne soon! The Sydney season of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will come to a close on July 21st. Performances at Her Majesty's Theatre in Melbourne begin August 9.
• Paul's hit play, Unnecessary Farce, has reached a new milestone this year: its 275th production! Visit UnnecessaryFarce.com for reviews, photos, and news on where it's playing next.
• The original cast album for the Broadway revival of My Fair Lady - on which Paul appears - recieved a nomination for a 2018 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album. This is Paul's third original Broadway cast album, and the first to receive a Grammy nomination. Named the Best Broadway Musical of 2018 by the New York Times, Time Magazine and Entertainment Weekly, My Fair Lady continues its successful run at Lincoln Center Theatre through July 7.
• Paper Mill Playhouse produced the East Coast premiere of Paul's new play, The Outsider, in a production which ran from January 24 through February 18, 2018. New York critics called the play "a hilarious comedy, perfectly fitting for the political era we're in", and "one of the funniest shows you will see this year", "committed to keeping Paper Mill's audiences laughing louder and longer than they have in a long time". You can learn more about the play at TheOutsiderPlay.com.